Thursday, February 12, 2009

"Why Do You Love God?"

I was recently presented with a question that struck very close my heart and I couldn’t resist the temptation to do a piece on the subject. During a recent service, our youth pastor asked those of us in the audience why we loved God. This may sound elementary and even spoiled, but I had never thought of the specific reasons why I am in love with such a mind blowing God. I always took what I felt for Him as natural and went about life. Today, I can say that I have righted that wrong. Here is my delayed response to the question posed by Nathan Smith, a brilliant speaker and leader but an even better friend.

“Why Do You Love God?”

With such mercy and passion that has been afforded to me by a righteous God, how could I not be in infinite love with all that He is? I have lived most of my life as a selfish child who mostly looks out for his own well being and yet, always, without break or hesitation, there is my God, ready to forgive me and take me back in to His mesmerizing ways. I have fought Him and resisted His calling to the point that I find myself beaten down by my own will and lack of understanding. Through my own stubbornness and depression, I have simply crashed about in my own desperate ways while a compassionate and loving Savior waits passionately by my side, saddened by what I put myself through. Such love and understanding is unrivaled to the point of disbelief.
My God has saved me too many times to count. Again and again, I dance away, relying on my own devices, only to find myself crawling back to Him with a broken humbleness. He is constantly by my side, singing a song of redemption as I lay healing and becoming whole once again in Him. I am a heathen and unworthy of such mercy, yet my God dismisses this notion as nonsense and simply waits for my slowly evolving comprehension. As I sit here and think on these things, only a single thought resonates throughout me…I love my God because He saves me from myself.


After reading this, I simply ask that you present this question to yourself. You may be surprised what your answer will be.

Peace and love,

C

No comments:

Post a Comment